Friday, September 3, 2010

Stretching and growing...

and growing and stretching. That's what life here is about these days. Our faith is being tested as we continue to daily realize God's grace and goodness as we anticipate the birth of a very special little boy. The story of our little grandson Samuel is interesting and up until now has been and continues to be an encouragement to fully and completely lean on the Lord for His direction and His leading. Our daughter is now 37 1/2 weeks into this pregnancy...something we never anticipated would happen. She and her husband are so very very excited. Even though there are a number of health issues that complicate the pregnancy, she is doing well, by God's grace and mercy. And we humbly thank Him for that. These last few weeks are going to drag by, I'm afraid.

Jessica is closer to the hospital if she stays here rather than at their home in Saint Clair Shores. So we have the pleasure of her company right now. And, with that comes the frequent trips to the drs for monitoring. It's been a very busy week, with appointments every day but one!!! And I thought I was really busy just trying to get the tomatoes canned!!! Now, I'm going to Toledo for a few hours then canning tomatoes, and cucumbers, peaches and pears or what ever else needs to be preserved. Jess is growing and stretching, and she's never looked as healthy as she does right now. And I'm growing and stretching, realizing my body's little tiny cell batteries (the mitochondria) seem to be performing a little better, and with the increased need for activity, I am able to participate, without paying the debt to those mitochondria. I am able to recover within a day or so rather than a week or more!!!! I am thankful...and cautious. I still have days when I know I need to back away, but not near as many as a while back. I feel very blessed. And feeling as though I'm healthier too.

This spring/ early summer I decided that this is the last year for me to make the big orders of soap for wholesale. A very dear friend, that has worked closely with me for a few years has agreed to undertake that task in the future, and that has been such a blessing. Now I can make soap because I want to, when I am able, and feeling energetic enough to do a good job at it. That seems to be a good decision for me right now. Maybe a little selfish motive works in there...I do want to be able to be free to have time with this new baby that's coming without interference of pending soap orders. Not that I've been very swamped with work in the soap shop....but, well, you know how it is. Babies grow too fast. Soap can wait!

Our garden has produced well this year. Tom has done an exceptional job keeping up with the weeds, bugs, and blight! He hoes, and sprays and has tied up the tomatoes and has it all looking so beautiful. As the harvest is brought in, I am trying to can as much as possible...spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, catsup, pickle relish, dill pickles, peaches and pickled beets are all boxed and sitting on the shelves waiting for winter. Oh, and a nice batch of vegetable soup too was canned last week with the help of granddaughter Sepporah. Such a good time to make memories.

I have a mountain of fabric accumulating to sew, when the time is right and vegetables aren’t calling to me from the summer kitchen We went to the Amish Family Field Day last month in Holmes County. While we were there I was able to stop at the big fabric store. I just can’t help but stock up for a rainy day, you know how that goes! Some of the fabric has found it’s way to Florida to be used by Mom too. All the fabric stores are becoming extinct it seems. That makes me very sad. And that brings you up to date for now. It’s time to fill some hot jars with tomato juice.

I’ll be adding pictures again, just as soon as little Samuel makes his debut.

No comments: