Saturday, August 29, 2009

Back again, with another update

We were enjoying the porch with our daughters and granddaughters last week when we noticed this praying mantis was still hanging around. The day before it had hitched a ride to the house in Tom's beard! It sat on the porch post, not seeming to care much that there were 5 busy children and 4 adults trying to keep those busy children corralled. We found a cricket for the Mantis, just to see if it was hungry. What an interesting creature the Praying Mantis is, don't you agree?

And as long as I'm reporting...I'll give you an update on the progress of the house project since it continues to be in progress. A little more of the porch was skirted. I don't know what the correct construction term is but Jon was working to get some more of that finished off. Tom and two hard working college guys put outlets and electrical connections at various points of usefulness, moved rocks from under the tree to make a border for a flower bed, and moved more rocks to border additional flower beds and driveway. In the process they uncovered the pre formed water garden and then moved it to the corner of the porch, and dug the needed hole to set it in place. We greatly enjoyed the water garden and water fountain at my Mom and Dad's house in Florida, and thought we might also enjoy it here from our own porch.

Tom made a number of trips to various nurseries and green houses for ideas and material to beautify and landscape the area surrounding the house. He also worked very hard at moving dirt from one high spot to another low spot, shaping the areas around the house to prepare them for grass seed. The back yard has been successfully seeded, and I took it upon myself to be the official Watcher of the Grass. That was my job, to watch the grass grow. There is a reason that was my job. Suffice it to say, some weeks energy abounds, other weeks........ not so much.

I will add that I am now multitasking ~ along with watching the grass grow, I am also overseeing the care and function of the Pedestal Fountain that was so eagerly installed just today on the porch. Again, inspired by that Florida watergarden and fountain, the soothing sounds of running water adds to the peaceful serenity to be found from my vantage point here on the swing. It is all really quite relaxing and restful.

I am looking forward to the week ahead, to see how the placement of the bushes and plants make this old farmhouse look like it belongs on the cover of a make over magazine. We have been blessed indeed to have the opportunity to update and maintain this family dwelling place. This place is seeing the 5th generation of my Mom's family enjoy the wonders of the farm and country. If the walls could talk.....

I hope you enjoy this look into life here on our little space on the planet.

No comments: